- Duda Support > Responsive Website Builder > eCommerce
When creating a shop in Duda, it's important to set appropriate tax rates for your customers.
How to create a new tax rate
For example you need to create 5% tax for California. In this case, you need to perform the following steps:
- Open your Duda eCommerce control panel.
- Go to the "System Settings → Zones" page. Click the "New Zone" button.
- Change the name of the created destination zone. Then click on the "Add state..." button and add the necessary state (i.e. "United States: California") state. Save the changes.
- Go to the "System Settings → Taxes" page.
- Click the "New Tax" button.
- Enter your tax name and define the other settings.
- Click on the "New Rate" button. Select the zone created earlier and enter the tax rate (for example 5%). Save the changes.
If you have many destination zones, repeat step #7 for each of them.
Two more hints:
- If you want to set up the same rate for several different states, you can create a zone consisting of these states and set up tax rate for this zone.
- Tax calculation algorithm determines which tax to apply by looking through the configured tax rate list, top-down. When it finds a matching zone, it stops and applies the corresponding tax rate. So you can define tax rate for particular state(s), then add a rate for "USA" at the bottom of the list. In this case, USA rate will be applied to all states except the states configured explicitly.
There is also a pre-defined zone named "Other zones" that defines tax for locations matching no zone mentioned in the rate list.